Final Up to date: August 22, 2022, 19:13 IST
It’s time to cease fascinated about the distinction between candy and savoury spices. Many cooks world wide don’t make such a distinction.
In Greece and Turkey, for instance, tomato sauce comes spiked with cinnamon, and in Mexico, fruit salad is sprinkled with cayenne pepper. In each circumstances, the spice is delicate however provides simply sufficient distinction to make every chew extra fascinating.
We stored that in thoughts whereas looking for a simple technique to enliven a easy summer time berry compote. On this recipe from our e book “COOKish,” which limits recipes to simply six components with out sacrificing flavour, we tried black pepper and chilli powder, a mix that may embody not solely spicy cayenne but additionally cumin, garlic and onion powder. The mix of candy strawberries and savoury spices was successful, the proper topping for vanilla ice cream or yoghurt.
A single teaspoon sufficed for a pound of candy strawberries, half of which we cooked with a comparatively small quantity of sugar and lime zest. We calmly mashed the cooked berries and poured them over contemporary ones, which softened with the compote’s warmth.
Substituting garam masala, an Indian spice mix that features warming spices like cinnamon and clove but additionally black pepper, mustard and coriander, was simply nearly as good with the citrus zest and berries, although with a distinct flavour profile.
Citrus and Spice Strawberry Compote
Begin to end: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 to six
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons white sugar, divided
- Grated zest of 1 lime OR 1 lemon OR ½ medium orange
- 1 teaspoon chili powder OR garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon coarsely floor black pepper
- Pinch of kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, toss two-thirds of the berries with 1 tablespoon of sugar and the zest; put aside.
- In a small saucepan, toast the chili powder, stirring, till aromatic; add the remaining berries, the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, the pepper, salt and ¼ cup water.
- Simmer, stirring, for five minutes, then mash the berries to interrupt them down. Cook dinner, stirring, till jammy.
- Instantly pour over the berries within the bowl and stir.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Voila! you might be accomplished.