West Ham captain Mark Noble says the Hammers don’t have anything to lose within the race to safe Champions League soccer after victory at Wolverhampton Wanderers moved them into the Premier League’s high 4.
After racing right into a three-goal lead throughout a superb opening 40 minutes, the Hammers held off a Wolves fightback to safe a win that strikes them above Chelsea with eight video games remaining.
The solely destructive for David Moyes’ facet was the early withdrawal of Michail Antonio via damage, with the striker to be assessed within the coming days.
But the Hammers confirmed actual character following his departure to safe the win, and Noble says the squad are decided to combat for a top-four end.
“We mentioned two or three weeks in the past that after we get to single figures in video games left we are able to have a proper go, as a result of we’ve nothing to lose and we are able to go for it,” he mentioned.
“Let’s hope it is an excellent [season]. We have eight video games to go and we’re in fourth We’re mixing it with the highest groups.”
On-loan Manchester United midfielder Jesse Lingard was in impressed kind because the Hammers tore Wolves aside within the first half, scoring a wonderful solo aim and enjoying a component within the different two because the guests raced right into a 3-0 lead.
After working from inside his personal half for the opener, he produced a superb flick on the byline to seek out Arthur Masuaku, whose low cross was turned in first time by Pablo Fornals, earlier than then main a fast counter to tee up substitute Jarrod Bowen to drive within the third.
Moyes’ facet had let slip a 3-0 lead of their earlier sport in opposition to Arsenal to attract 3-3 they usually appeared in peril of a repeat when Leander Dendoncker headed residence simply earlier than half-time and substitute Fabio Silva rolled in a wonderful strike halfway via the second half to cut back the deficit to 1 aim.
West Ham dropped deep as they tried to carry on to their slender benefit, and though Wolves dominated the closing levels they might not discover a approach via for a 3rd time.
Moyes, like Noble, believes there isn’t a motive why West Ham can not keep within the combat for a top-four end.
“I’m listening to pundits speaking about West Ham having an opportunity of Champions League,” he mentioned.
“Nobody would have envisaged or talked about that final season. Can we maintain it going? We are going to attempt to compete with the massive groups proper till the top.”
Lingard shines as West Ham eye Champions League
Few would possible have anticipated Lingard, who had fallen off form and out of favour at Manchester United, to show to be one of many signings of the January switch window when he made the change to the Hammers.
But for the reason that transfer he has not simply developed into an integral a part of Moyes’ facet but in addition into one of the vital in-form gamers within the Premier League.
He scored two objectives on his West Ham debut and now has six in eight league appearances, together with his kind having propelled him again into the England set-up at simply the proper time with the European Championships arising this summer season.
His newest strike was undoubtedly a aim of the season contender as he picked the ball up from midway and slalomed his well past surprised Wolves gamers earlier than ending clinically.
Since he joined West Ham solely Harry Kane (9) has been concerned in as many objectives as Lingard and his arrival has undoubtedly performed a key function in making certain the Hammers are very a lot within the dialog for a end within the Champions League locations.
“I used to be telling him how nicely he has performed,” Moyes mentioned of chatting with Lingard at full-time.
“I’m in all probability a supervisor who would not say that fairly often, however he deserved that after his efficiency.”
Wolves left with an excessive amount of to do
Since returning to the Premier League Wolves have typically discovered themselves within the battle for the European locations, however a disappointing and inconsistent marketing campaign this time spherical implies that their marketing campaign is spluttering in the direction of a mid-table end.
Injuries have actually not helped Nuno Espirito Santo’s facet, with Raul Jimenez having been dominated out for a lot of the season with a fractured cranium whereas they had been dealt one other blow earlier than this sport with the information that wing-back Jonny is out for the remainder of the marketing campaign with an ACL damage.
Jimenez’s absence has been significantly telling as Wolves have struggled for objectives with out him – solely Burnley had scored fewer than Wolves’ 29 within the Premier League previous to this fixture.
The three conceded within the first half in opposition to West Ham in the end left them with an excessive amount of to do however there have been some positives for Wolves within the second half, none extra so than efficiency of Fabio Silva.
The 18-year-old has solely scored three objectives this season however his newest was his finest and a reminder of the thrilling expertise he possesses as he produced an excellent first contact to regulate a wonderful Pedro Neto move earlier than ending clinically.
“When you do not have the identical gamers the whole lot just isn’t the identical and it turns into more durable,” mentioned Nuno.
“The response was good however we began very dangerous. Conceding three objectives in opposition to a high crew like West Ham makes it very tough to reverse the end result.”
A primary for West Ham – the stats
- West Ham have gained seven away Premier League video games this season, their joint-best return in a single marketing campaign within the competitors (additionally seven in 1993-94, 2005-06 and 2015-16).
- Wolves have misplaced six residence Premier League video games this season, their most in a single marketing campaign since their return to the competitors in 2018.
- This was West Ham’s first ever top-flight double over Wolves, and the primary in any league season for the reason that 1922-23 Second Division.
- West Ham scored 3+ objectives within the first half of consecutive Premier League video games for the primary time ever.
- Jesse Lingard has been concerned in 9 objectives in his eight Premier League appearances for West Ham (six objectives, three assists) – since his debut for the Hammers in February, no participant has been concerned in additional Premier League objectives than Lingard.
- Only Leeds (six) have scored extra objectives from quick breaks than West Ham within the Premier League this season (5), whereas Jesse Lingard has scored extra such objectives than some other participant this time period (three).
- Leander Dendoncker’s aim for Wolves was his first within the Premier League this season from his twenty eighth try at aim – earlier than this sport, he’d had extra pictures with out scoring than some other participant this time period.
- Wolves’ Adama Traore has now had extra pictures with out scoring than some other participant within the Premier League this season (26), with the Spaniard having two unsuccessful makes an attempt tonight.
- Jarrod Bowen’s aim for West Ham got here simply two minutes and 34 seconds after coming off the bench – it was his seventh Premier League aim this season, with solely Tomas Soucek netting extra for the Hammers this time period (9).
Wolves are again in Premier League motion on Friday, 9 April (20:00 BST) after they journey to Fulham whereas West Ham host Leicester on Sunday, 11 April (14:05 BST).
- 11Rui Patrício
- 22Nélson Semedo
- 3Aït-NouriSubstituted forHoeverat 90′minutes
- 8NevesBooked at 85mins
- 10PodenceSubstituted forFábio Silvaat 45′minutes
- 12Da SilvaSubstituted forVitinhaat 72′minutes
- 17Fábio Silva
- 15DawsonBooked at 4mins
- 23DiopBooked at 10mins
- 28SoucekBooked at 90mins
- 18FornalsSubstituted forBenrahmaat 78′minutes
- 11LingardBooked at 90mins
- 26MasuakuSubstituted forJohnsonat 67′minutes
- 30AntonioSubstituted forBowenat 36′minutes
Match ends, Wolverhampton Wanderers 2, West Ham United 3.
Second Half ends, Wolverhampton Wanderers 2, West Ham United 3.
Corner, Wolverhampton Wanderers. Conceded by Issa Diop.
Jesse Lingard (West Ham United) is proven the yellow card.
Attempt blocked. Adama Traoré (Wolverhampton Wanderers) proper footed shot from exterior the field is blocked. Assisted by Fábio Silva.
Tomas Soucek (West Ham United) is proven the yellow card for a nasty foul.
Vitinha (Wolverhampton Wanderers) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Tomas Soucek (West Ham United).
Substitution, Wolverhampton Wanderers. Ki-Jana Hoever replaces Rayan Aït-Nouri.
Foul by Rúben Neves (Wolverhampton Wanderers).
Mark Noble (West Ham United) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Rúben Neves (Wolverhampton Wanderers) is proven the yellow card for a nasty foul.
Foul by Rúben Neves (Wolverhampton Wanderers).
Jesse Lingard (West Ham United) wins a free kick on the proper wing.
Substitution, West Ham United. Saïd Benrahma replaces Pablo Fornals.
Attempt missed. Pedro Neto (Wolverhampton Wanderers) left footed shot from the centre of the field is excessive and vast to the left.
Foul by Rúben Neves (Wolverhampton Wanderers).
Jesse Lingard (West Ham United) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Substitution, Wolverhampton Wanderers. Vitinha replaces Willian José.
Attempt missed. Leander Dendoncker (Wolverhampton Wanderers) proper footed shot from the centre of the field is excessive and vast to the proper.