What Centre note blaming Opposition states missed: Surge cuts across party lines


On Wednesday, Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan singled out non-BJP dominated states, notably Maharashtra and Chhattisgarh, for “politicising” the pandemic, and berated them for not doing sufficient to manage the unfold of coronavirus instances.

While the Opposition-ruled states are certainly among the many worst affected — Maharashtra, Kerala, Delhi, Chhattisgarh stand out — knowledge reveals that there’s hardly any state that may declare to be in a cushty state of affairs.

The unfold of the illness has been politics-agnostic. Karnataka, a BJP-ruled state, has the third-highest caseload within the nation. It additionally reported the third-highest variety of deaths, after Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu. Incidentally, the BJP is AIADMK’s ally which guidelines Tamil Nadu.

Relatives of Covid contaminated sufferers throughout Pune metropolis gathered in enormous numbers to purchase Remdesivir Injection at Poona Hospital Medical Store on Wednesday night time. (Express Photo by Pavan Khengre)

Karnataka and Uttar Pradesh, once more dominated by the BJP, are actually among the many prime 5 contributors of recent instances today. Goa, a BJP-ruled state, has increased deaths per million inhabitants than even Maharashtra. The similar is true of Ladakh as properly. Himachal Pradesh fares worse than Kerala on this similar metric.

There are a number of indicators on which BJP-ruled states are performing as dangerous, if not worse, than states dominated by opposition events.

Harsh Vardhan, for instance, pulled up Chhattisgarh for being “heavily dependent” on fast antigen assessments, and instructed that it may have contributed to the disproportionately excessive variety of deaths within the state in the previous couple of weeks.

Waiting for his or her flip for vaccination at ‘Jumbo’ Covid facility, Bandra Kurla Complex, in Mumbai on Wednesday. (Express Photo: Pradip Das)

But Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, two states with highest variety of assessments, have additionally been relying totally on fast antigen assessments. In Maharashtra or Tamil Nadu, two states which have performed comparable variety of assessments, greater than 80 per cent of assessments have been carried out utilizing the RT-PCR technique. In UP and Bihar, this proportion is properly beneath 50 per cent.

Harsh Vardhan additionally chided Chhattisgarh for refusing to make use of Covaxin to inoculate its folks. But there are at the very least 14 states that haven’t used even a single dose of Covaxin of their vaccination effort. Most of those are smaller states, however amongst them are BJP-ruled states like Goa, which, contemplating its dimension and inhabitants, has a really excessive variety of instances in addition to deaths. Himachal Pradesh has additionally not deployed Covaxin.

In reality, Covaxin, produced by Hyderabad-based Bharat Biotech, has been very sparsely used all through the nation, almost certainly due to lack of sufficient provides. Covaxin accounts for less than 9 per cent of the greater than 9 crore doses of vaccines which have been given in India up to now. The remaining 91 per cent of the vaccine doses are these of Covishield, manufactured by the Serum Institute of India.

The state which has utilised Covaxin probably the most occurs to be Delhi. More than 26 per cent of vaccine doses delivered in Delhi are Covaxin. The solely state with comparable numbers is Andhra, the place Covaxin accounts for 18 per cent of vaccine doses delivered up to now.



Source hyperlink

Related Articles

BEST DEALS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest Articles